- Average Class Size: 18
- Each classroom has a teacher and at least one teacher, assistant
- Our Kindergarten students are expected to wear our defined school uniform. There are many options for parents, including a school closet with gently used clothing to get your student started.
Hot lunch is an option available to our Kindergarteners. The cost is $2.50 for Y5-5, $3.00 for 6-12 grade, $0.40 for milk and menus are available online or from your classroom teacher. To view our current’s month lunch schedule please
of Allegiance, God Bless America. (Parents are welcome to attend convocation with their student or drop them off in the cafeteria with their teacher.)
Monday: Adoration, Gym, Language Arts, Math Centers
Tuesday: Reading/Literacy, Calendar Math, Music, Religion, Exploration & Discovery
Wednesday: Calendar Math, Mass, Language Arts/Math Stations, Sight Words, Library, and Computer Lab
Thursday: Reading/Literacy, Art, Calendar Math, Music, Religion, Exploration & Discovery
Friday: Calendar Math, Phonics, Religion, Show and Tell, Gym, Science
- Hands On Learning: We make learning fun and active. Important concepts are learned by doing meaningful, hand on activities.
- Journals: Each child is provided a notebook to be used throughout the year as his/her journal. This journal will include poetry, songs, messages, and other written pieces. This will be a great literacy-learning tool for your child. Also, we use interactive math journals.
- D.E.A.R: Drop Everything and Read (or Rest): We do not have a formal rest time in Kindergarten, but we do generally have 15 minutes of D.E.A.R time each day after lunch where we dim the lights and the children can unwind and relax with a favorite book before we begin our afternoon activities.
- Computer Lab: Kindergarteners will visit the computer lab once a week. They use a variety of age appropriate programs that reinforce math and reading skills.
- iPads: Kindergarteners have access to a variety of different educational apps using iPads located in the classroom. We use these during our center and station times as well as individual enrichment.
As a Catholic school our mission drives our daily activities.“St. Mary Cathedral School is dedicated to nurturing a lifelong discipleship in the Lord, promoting academic excellence, and cultivating God-given talents”. As a result, students are engaged in daily prayer, religion activities and lessons, weekly mass, Bible Stories, visits to our chapel and cathedral and daily reflection on our Catholic Faith. Our program provides an opportunity for children to be involved in prayer and other religious activities in conjunction with our Catholic Christian values.
- Holiday Class Parties
- Library Time
- Art, Music & Gym classes weekly
- Weekly Show and Tell
- Classroom birthday celebrations (half birthdays for our summer birthdays)
- 5th Grade Big Buddies
- Mother’s Day Pampering Event
Due to the unique size of our school, our youngest learners are exposed to a wide range of whole school activities, including pep rallies, weekly mass, school plays, and other activities.
It is important for our prospective and current parents to know that we do offer an after-school option. Our After School Academy (ASA) is available from 2:50 pm to 6:00 pm Monday through Friday. The cost for ASA is $15.00 per day, per student, or $5.00 per hour, per student. There are additional fees added after 6:00 pm. Snacks are not provided to students during this time, but they are welcome to bring a snack. For more information on ASA, please contact the school office or your child’s teacher.
Parent Ambassadors: Every class has at least one parent ambassador. This can be a great resource for parents to learn more about our school, participate in classroom activities, or get to know some of your fellow elementary parents!
School can be as much about what the parents put into learning as the students. Some of the significant events/programs sponsored by the ambassadors are: Field Day, Campbell Soup Label Collection, Spartan U.P.C. Labels, General Mills Box Tops for Education, Gordon Food Service Fun FUNDs, SCRIP Program, and welcoming new families.
Office Staff: Our office is open for business Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm. You may always drop by with questions, comments, or concerns. We are here to help!
Mrs. Hatch: Mrs. Hatch is our school principal and works daily to guide our school and students. She is a teacher and administrator and can be a great resource. Please feel free to contact her directly to schedule a meeting or conference.
Weekly Emails: St. Mary Cathedral Parish & School sends out weekly emails to parents. This is a great place to get helpful information on activities and happenings at our school. As a parent, you will be automatically signed up for emails during registration.
Note: All of our students participate in our school-wide uniform standards. For details on our uniform requirements please click here.
<p><em><span arial="" style="font-family:"><img alt="" height="50" src="http://www.gaylordstmary.org/editoruploads/images/Web%20Art/uniform.png" style="float:left" width="50" />All of our students participate in our school-wide uniform standards. </span></em><em><span arial="" style="font-family:">For details on our uniform requirements please <a href="http://www.gaylordstmary.org/editoruploads/files/SMCS_2017-18_handbook_final.pdf">click here</a>. </span></em></p>